AVOIDING PAINT PROBLEMS
Blistering at the bottom is caused by rising damp
Damp rises up to 1500mm up the plaster. Mildew forms behind paint causing blisters.
Stop water from rising:
- When building the wall, build two layers of bricks. Coat bricks on the horizontal and down the vertical with Sealtite to a thickness of 3mm. This will prevent rising damp.
- After plastering the wall, spray WR30 on the plaster 1500mm from the bottom up at a rate of 2m2/litre.
- Then paint the wall with Stevensons Architect HB 1000.
- Repairing the current problem
- Remove all paint up to 1000mm. 5mm of plaster will have to be removed.
- Spray remaining plaster with Fast WR30 at a rate of 2m2 /litre.
- Repair plaster to previous condition using Sealtite 550.
- Repaint with Stevensons Architect HB 1000.
NB! All the paint has to be removed
- Remove all plaster.
- Coat the exposed bricks with Sealtite 550 with a block brush to thickness of 1mm.
- Replaster wall.
- Spray Fast WR30 water repeller on to plaster at a rate of 2m2/liter.
- Paint with Stevensons Architect HB1000.
Blistering on top of walls
Concrete couping tiles on top of the wall absorbs water, especially through cement joints. Damp filters down to about 500mm causing cracks and blistering.
- Seal top of the walls with SealTite 550 or paint SealTite rubber on top of the wall, then place tiles on top of sealed wall. (Do not paint BR500 down side of the walls)
- Seal couping tiles joints with Sealtite.
- Spray tiles and soak joints with Fast WR30. Spray walls 500mm down the vertical at a rate of 2m2/litre.
- Paint wall with Stevensons Architect BB1000.
- Repairing current problem
- Remove 5mm of plaster down the vertical 500mm
- Repair plaster to previous condition with Sealtite.
- Open joints between tiles and fill with SealTite 550.
- Spray tiles top and bottom, soaking joints with Fast WR30 at a rate of 2m2/litre. Spray walls down the sides 500mm.
- Paint walls with Stevensons Architect HB1000.
Broad concrete section on top of arched walls
Cracks appear in concrete and joints, water filters through and affect paint.
- Fill all cracks with SealTite Crack Sealant.
- All joints are to be opened and filled with Sealtite.
- Apply SealTite BR500 rubber system to horizontal top surface. Apply two coats SealTite TC 800 light grey. (NB! Do not paint SealTite down the sides of the wall.)
If concrete look is preferred: -after steps 1 & 2 above
- Spray horizontal top surface with Fast WR30 at a rate of 2m2/liter.
- Apply a brush coat of SealTite to a thickness of 3mm over whole surface.
- Apply WR30 to the undersides of the over hangs. (2m2/litre)
- If walls are to be plastered
- Spray Fast WR30 on the plaster at a rate of 1m2/litre from bottom up the vertical 1500mm. (Use a WAP on the sprinkaan pump)
- If walls are scratch plaster
- Spray fast WR30 at a rate of 2m2/litre up the vertical for 1000mm
- Apply to the wall SealTite with a block brush to a thickness of 3mm.
- Paint with Stevensons HB 1000.
Top of walls (Parapets and boundary walls)
- Fill cracks with Rubaro Crack Sealant to a depth of 50mm.
- a) Apply SealTite 550 to the top of walls with a block brush to a thickness of 3mm.
b) Apply two coats SealTite BR500 rubber to a thickness of 1mm. (Do not paint Rubaro down the sides of the wall)
- Apply two coats of Fast Magna Bond.
- Spray Fast WR30 down the vertical 500mm on the plaster. (2m2/litre)
- Paint wall with Stevensons HB 1000.
New boundary walls
- Build initial two layers of bricks (two blocks high)
- Coat the two layers with Sealtite with a block brush to a thickness of 3mm.
- Continue laying bricks on Sealtite.
- Treat wall as in E above.
Concrete Tiles / Coping Tiles
- All cracks on wall must be filled with SealTite Crack Sealant
- Paint SealTite BR500 rubber two coats on top of wall. (NB. Do not coat SealTite down the sides of the wall)
Paint Sealtite on top of the wall to a thickness of 1mm with a block brush.
- Place concrete tile on top of the wall using Sealtite.
- Fill caps between tiles with Sealtite.
- Spray the concrete tiles with WR30 (top and bottom). (2m2/litre)
37 Tobie St
Postnet Suite No. 24
Private Bag X132
Tel: +27 12 653 4222
Fax: +27 12 653 4225